In our quest to eat less dry cereal, this Blueberry breakfast cake is on our once/week rotation (usually on Wednesdays).
Adapted from Annie’s eats and from my friend Amy who is also avoiding wheat & dairy:
- 1 cup oats (I’ve used steel cut & rolled)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, lightly toasted, divided (haven’t used these but always plan to!)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I’ve used honey & coconut sap as well)
- 1 cup coconut milk (can use regular milk)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil (can use butter too)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 ripe bananas, peeled & sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen), divided
Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish (I use grapeseed oil). In my 1 cup glass measuring cup mix oats, half of nuts, baking powder, cinnamon & salt. In my 2 cup glass measuring cup, beat egg, add milk, maple syrup, oil & vanilla. Spread the bananas in a single layer over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half the berries. Sprinkle the dry mixture over the fruit in an even layer. Pour the liquid ingredients evenly over the oats. Sprinkle remaining nuts & berries over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is browned and the oats have set. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
We have added fresh or frozen strawberries recently to the top and the kids like it. Annie suggests trying with peaches, apricots or nectarines-all sound yummy to me but haven’t tried yet.
And, for the record, they fell for the “cake” idea the first time but now they know it is just fancy oatmeal. I LOVE it, they like it ok:)